TMC has been completed with 60 units in transfer. 12 units of major and all lower division GE requirements have been satisfied.
For more information regarding the Sociology major requirements, please click here for a detailed overview written by the Department Chair.
1st Semester at SF State
|Required Courses||Recommended Course||Units|
|First Complementary Studies Course||3-4|
|Second Complementary Studies Course||3-4|
Semester Unit Total: 15-16
2nd Semester at SF State
|2nd Semester at SF State||Recommended Course||Units|
|Major Required Course, also satisfies University UD Written English Proficiency/GWAR||SOC 300GW||4|
|Sociology Area 1 Inequalities in the US||3-4|
|Third Complementary Studies Course||3-4|
Semester Unit Total: 13-14 Units
3rd Semester at SF State
|3rd Semester at SF State||Recommended Course||Units|
|Major Required Course||SOC 370 or SOC 371||4|
|Major Required Course||SOC 392||4|
|Sociology Area 2 Global Inequalities||3|
|Fourth Complementary Studies Course, if needed||3|
Semester Unit Total: 17 Units
4th Semester at SF State
|4th Semester at SF State||Recommended Course||Units|
|Major Required Course||SOC 393 or SOC 394||4|
|Major Required Course||SOC 500 or SOC 501/2 or SOC 503/4||3|
|Sociology Elective, if needed||3-4|
|Sociology Elective, if needed||
Semester Unit Total: 13-17 Units
Notes: A minimum of 40 upper division units must be completed for degree. This roadmap is a sample pathway. Check with a major advisor regarding the most appropriate course sequence for you.
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 40 units minimum at the upper division level; to include the following:
University wide requirements
- 9-18 Units
- American Institutions: US History, US Government, California State and Local Government requirements if not completed prior to transfer
- 9 units upper division GE
- 30-31 units
- Required Courses (19 units): Note that there is a 4 semester sequence for required courses: 1) SOC 300GW, 2) SOC 370 or 371, 3) SOC 392, and 4) SOC 393 or 394 plus SOC 500 or SOC 501 and SOC 502.
*At minimum, 3-4 semesters are required in order to complete the major requirements and the major core courses must be taken in sequence. Students typically do not get into the first core course (SOC 300GW) until their second semester junior year.
- One course from Area I and one course from Area II (6-8 units)
- Major Electives (6-8 units)
- 0-21 units depending on the number of units transferred in and the range of unit choices chosen to satisfy course requirements above.