Hediye Gürtuna, the beloved and sage mother of long time Sociology Faculty member Hülya Gürtuna and her siblings, was an early pioneer among women who pursued university degrees in the first decades following Turkish independence. As an English teacher, Hediye dedicated more than 30 years to helping her students develop the capacity to pursue their life objectives successfully in a rapidly developing nation. She was an outspoken advocate for children and their potential. The Hediye Gürtuna Scholarship is presented in her memory to continue the work with young people she found so important. This is an annual award offered to a qualified San Francisco State University Sociology major who has between two to four semesters remaining to graduate (a junior or first semester senior). Candidates will be reviewed annually in April. An award of $1,000 will be made each May at the Sociology Department's recognition ceremony. Application deadline: April 15 Please apply on SFSU Academic Works https://sfsu.academicworks.com/
- Be a Sociology major; maintain a 3.0 GPA;
- Must have two to four semesters remaining to graduate ( a junior or a first semester senior).
- Provide a statement of his/her academic, community service and/or work experiences;
- Provide a statement concerning professional goals. These experiences and/or goals should indicate an active interest in youth advocacy.
How to apply
Submit application along with the following statements (maximum 750 words total) and information on Academic Works:
1. STATEMENT OF EXPERIENCE In what ways have you been involved with youth advocacy?
2. STATEMENT OF GOALS What are your professional goals and future plans concering youth advocacy?
3. GPA/UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPTS
2018: Samir Shrestha
2015: Bidya Subedi
2014: Noah De La Cruz
2014: Jari Bradley
2013: Faustino Cadiz
2012 Edher Augusto Zamudio