Dr. Irwin was a sociologist that earned his undergraduate degree from UCLA, and went on to complete his doctoral thesis at UC Berkeley. He taught for many years in San Francisco State University’s Sociology Department and in 1967 created Project Rebound, a special admissions program at SFSU. Dr. Irwin passed in 2010 leaving behind a lifetime of accomplishments and an undeniable hope for the future.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be an enrolled Project Rebound student working part or full time.
- Documentation showing enrollment in Project Rebound
- Demonstrate financial need and request either a one semester or one academic year scholarship in a one page typed statement. Statement will include justification for requesting either the one semester or two semester award.
To apply, log on to https://sfsu.academicworks.com/ , search for the John Irwin Memorial Scholarship link, and upload the following:
- A copy of your current SFSU class schedule
- A copy of the your unofficial transcript with SFSU GPA
- Documentation of enrollment in Project Rebound.
- A one page typed statement expressing financial need.
N.B.: Upon notification of the scholarship award, awardees are required to submit a thank you letter addressed to the Donor of the John Irwin Memorial Scholarship. Sample notes can be obtained from the Sociology Department, HSS 370.
Applications are due annually in the spring. The Sociology Department will inform all eligible Sociology majors of specific due dates via email and posted fliers.
2018: Baldemar Arroyo
2017: Tangela Griffin
2016: Latonia Williams & Curtis Penn
2015: Tony Williams & Jared Walker
2014: Sherry Bonnet
2013: Richard Cockrell